the plan for my first bug fix “0.1 release” was to play to my strengths. i wanted to work on bugz that affected languages such as c++,java or python with the hopes of learning some real world problem solving that can be applied to my resume. a good portion of the bugs that a listed under “Good first bug” seem to be aimed at more front end languages like java script, css and so on. this issues made landing a bug a bit tricky. it took me two weeks to land my first bug. the bug that i landed was css base and was asking to Remove the dotted focus border from selected row. this one seem very simply at first. the instruction was straight forward.
- clone Mozilla central
- build the repo
- use yarn to inspect what was causing the issues
using yarn to find the issue took some time, and some assistance from my professor. we decide to apply “outline: none !important” to the request-list-item .after submitting the patch i was old that by using “outline: none !important” would cause future problem when debugging the css, and should look into using “:-moz-focusring”. after doing some more research i finally fix the problem, and proceed with submitting the final patch. after my submission a users pointed out that by removing the dotted line might cause a break in the keyboard accessibility. after this they decided that it would be best to leave the bug as it is so we won’t break the keyboard navigation. i was very disappointed with this decision, but was happy that i made some progress